Friday, August 5, 2011

Things That Make Me Happy # 25

Strolling around the Internet one day, I came across a blog post entitled "100 Things That Make Me Happy".  What a great idea, I thought as I scanned the list, so Fridays are now dedicated to things that make me happy!

Things That Make Me Happy!
# 25 Empty Bowls


Ah yes, empty bowls.  That amazing, incredibly rare day in our house when there are 6 empty bowls on our supper table.  Now please let me explain that I'm not talking about "Mother Hubbard" empty, as in there is nothing to go into those 6 bowls, I'm talking about the ultimate success of finding a meal that everybody likes -- and, therefore, eats without bribery or complaint.

There are the usual pizza nights where everybody is happy, or spaghetti night (where Owen gets mostly sauce, Aidan gets mostly noodles, and Isaac gets an exact balance of the two) which is also popular, if not complicated.  But one night last week, we had a meal that wasn't the usual, that met with rave reviews.  Now first of all, in order to fully appreciate the miraculousness of this feat, you must understand that I am a recipe follower.  I don't mind tweaking a recipe that I have made before to suit our tastes, or even making some substitutions, but I do not do well when I invent something of my own.  But one day last week, as the terrible 4 o'clock "what's for supper?" hour approached, I did the unthinkable ... I threw a bunch of stuff in the pot and hoped for the best!  I really don't know what came over me.

All right, I only made soup, but come on ... without a recipe!  Okay, maybe it's not that impressive, but second helpings were requested and I got the best compliment ever.  Owen said:  "This is better than ANYTHING!"  [pause] "... except chocolate."  Well, how can you argue with that -- he's right.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have a picture of my masterpiece -- I had no idea that it was going to be so popular -- but I did try to remember, as closely as possible, my recipe (doesn't that have a nice ring to it -- "my" recipe).  So here it is in case anybody else would like to try it, and be sure to tell me how it turns out if you do!


Peggy's, better than anything except chocolate, Chicken Soup

1 cut up chicken
water
onion
Boil together until chicken is well cooked and falling off the bone.  Remove the chicken, cool, then remove the bones and skin.  Return as much chicken as needed to the pot (I used 2/3 of the chicken and could probably have used less) with the chicken stock that you have just made.
Add:  cumin
salt
pepper
parsley
tarragon
chili powder
green onions
1 large carrot
corn
(sorry there are no measurements -- just wing it!)  Boil this together until the carrot (and whatever other veggies you might like to add) are cooked.
Add: 3/4 cup orzo pasta (any short pasta would do).  Simmer for a few more minutes.
If your family likes their soup more gravy-like, rather than broth-like, as we do, add some flour and water to thicken it up some.
Voila!  Yummy soup and empty bowls.

Ah, empty bowls and full bellies, what could be better than that?  ... Hmmm ... somebody to do the dishes?
Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! And better than anything except chocolate?! Well that's just a miracle soup! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...