With all the snow that we had last weekend (okay, 2 weekends ago ... that's how long this post has been floating around in my head), I thought that I should knit up a few pairs of mittens -- one for each child was my lofty goal for the weekend. Nice thought, but it didn't happen. Now, more than two weeks later (ahem!) I have one finished pair.
Nothing too fancy but the wearer is very pleased with them. Here
is the pattern that I used -- it's basic and simple. But, after
finishing the first mitt, I discovered that it was a little to big for
even my biggest boy, so I adjusted the second mitt a bit. Clever,
right? Not so much ... I didn't write down what I did, so back to the
drawing board for pair #2!
As I was finishing up the last mitten, Laurel joined me. When she gets tired, she will often climb up behind me, put her thumb in her mouth and grab a handful of hair (yes, she is still attached to my hair, but thankfully, she does not pull so much anymore!). As I got closer to the top of the mitten (and decreasing stitches), I was counting aloud to myself: "one, two, three, four.". Then the patterned called for knitting 2 stitches together. After a couple of rounds, Laurel leaning on my back, me still counting ... "one, two, three, four ...", I stopped to wrestle with some particularly tight stitches, and a little voice whispered in my ear: "five" ... funny girl!