Friday, April 12, 2013

Already 3!

Yes, my girl turned 3 last week ... it's sad and exciting all at the same time.



I decided that this special little girl needed a special blanket -- don't all little girls? -- so I set to work.  I had heard that rag quilts were easy to make (a little bit of sewing and some clipping, easy right?) so I did some reading, and started to collect some materials.  An old quilt that I had been hanging on to got cut up for the batting, and my pile of old receiving blankets became the 108 squares to make the top.  We were given so many receiving blankets at Isaac's baby shower (over 10 years ago) and I remember wondering what on earth I would ever use them all for.  Oh, silly, pre-children me!  They turned out to be very handy ... a sun shade, a nursing cover, a play blanket, a diaper change cloth, a cleaning rag, a toy, I even turned some of them into diapers a couple of years ago (post here).  So, into the pile they went (along with a couple of extra that I found at Value Village).  Well, after a lot of cutting, stitching, a sewing machine tune up (fyi, sewing machines need some tlc more often than once every 10 years), a midnight meltdown, and a TON of clipping, it was finally done.  
So worth all the effort to see that smiling face peeking out from under her new blanket!



The birthday girl and her horse cake ...





"Am I still this old?" she asked me the other day while holding up 3 fingers (a skill that took almost a week to master).
"Yes." I tell her.
"All the time?" she wonders.
"Yes, baby girl ..." I answer, then more to myself:  "... for as long as I can keep time from moving too quickly."

1 comment:

  1. The quilt looks great! And very cozy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...