Friday, June 10, 2011

Things That Make Me Happy # 20

Strolling around the Internet one day, I came across a blog post entitled "100 Things That Make Me Happy". What a great idea, I thought as I scanned the list, so Fridays are now dedicated to things that make me happy!


Things That Make Me Happy!
# 20 Modern Technology

Today, we spent the day at Ross Farm Museum -- the former homestead of Captain William Ross, his wife Mary and their 7 children. The museum is a living, working, farm museum that depicts 150 years of agriculture in Nova Scotia. We had such a great time looking at all the animals, going on a wagon ride (2 actually), watching the blacksmith and the cooper, that the boys are hard pressed to pick a favourite part of the visit. They kept asking if we could have lambs or horses or chickens or oxen when we move to our new house --oh boy, I'd better start making a list!

As much as we enjoyed the day, it made me more aware of all of the modern conveniences that we have. Now, I do enjoy making my own bread, growing our own vegetables, and a good fire in the stove; but it's also nice to be sitting here at my computer, to hear the dishwasher cleaning my dishes, and to have the option of running down to the store for that loaf of bread. Although there are many of these conveniences that I could probably live without -- like the dishwasher, I guess -- today I am thankful for the time that these machines save -- that extra bit of time that enables me to play, read or snuggle with the kids, or whatever else it is that I choose to do. There are so many days where I rush around thinking that there are not enough hours to do all the things that need to be done, but I do not have to milk the cow or card the wool or shoe the horse. I can get milk from the fridge, a sweater from my closet and get in my car; and for that I am thankful.

So, I guess that I'm torn. I like the simple, slower (albeit harder) lifestyle as depicted on the farm; but my computer, refrigerator and vacuum cleaner all make me happy too. Hmmmm ... today, I think I'll celebrate the privilege of being able to have both in my life in any combination that suits our family -- although we're still happily working toward a little more simplicity.

Here a a few pictures from our day.
Happy Friday!







I cannot claim to have taken all these pictures. The boys and I took turns with the camera, and so the selection above includes something from everybody!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I would have loved to live "way back when", but also do like modern life's conveniences & offerings! Love the pics! Looks like a gret day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...