Monday, June 13, 2011

James and the Giant Peach

I remember the day I first heard about Roald Dahl.  Well, that might be a little bit of an exaggeration.  When you're 8 it's not the author that you remember, it's the story.  My friend and I were walking home from school one day and she told me all about her new favourite book:  Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.  I was so captivated by her retelling of the story, that when the next Scholastic book order came out and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was on the front page, I went straight home to count my money.  I still have that well loved, well read, old book (well, ... not that old -- I'm still quite young you know!) and it is still one of my favourites.


The boys and I have enjoyed many Dahl books over the years, so when we learned that 2011 marks the 50th year since James And The Giant Peach was published, we needed no other excuse to enjoy it again. We also joined the "Follow that Peach" celebration by helping to send peaches around the world.  Sound's messy, I know, but ours are paper peaches complete with names so that they can be tracked -- yes tracked!  Very exciting!  Check out the "Follow that Peach" website for more information and to download your own peach to send around the world.  Don't forget to join us in reading the book too!






Our peaches -- Bubbles, Dude, and The peach is not in his bed (can you tell that the boys named them themselves?) -- will be on their way soon.  We are hoping that they get to visit some far away places.  Have a "scrumdiddlyumptious" day!

1 comment:

  1. Are there any 'Giant Peach' haircuts? Let me do my research... ha ha. Peach fuzz maybe.... hmmmm. See you this afternoon! xo :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...