Friday, May 13, 2011

Things That Make Me Happy #17

Strolling around the Internet one day, I came across a blog post entitled "100 Things That Make Me Happy".  What a great idea, I thought as I scanned the list, so Fridays are now dedicated to things that make me happy!

Things That Make Me Happy!
# 17 Blanket Forts



Rain, rain and more rain -- we've had a lot of rain this week. It was tough not to complain, to keep reminding myself that it was good for the trees and the plants, that it couldn't go on forever ... or could it ...?

After a couple of outings, which resulted in wet feet, all our footwear was lined up in front of the fire waiting to dry. With the whole afternoon in front of us, no dry footwear to go anywhere, and personalities starting to clash, I made my best suggestion and hoped for the best: "How about a blanket fort, we haven't done that in a long time?" The boys immediately jumped up and went on a blanket search. They came back with every blanket and sheet from their beds and around the house -- we had more than I thought -- and started construction.

It is quite rare to find and activity that all four kids can enjoy together, but blanket forts are really for everybody -- they even gave me a tour, although some of the corners were a little tight! I got a few moments of peace and sat back happily listening to the construction talk and then the laughter and fun that followed. Ahhhhhhh ... They played quite happily all afternoon (until Laurel decided to remodel it -- adding a woman's touch, you know) and were quite disappointed when they had to take it apart. They had great plans to sleep in it that night, but knowing how much "sleep" they would actually get, I decided against it -- sorry guys!

It was also fun to see all of our blankets out and to be reminded of where they had come from. The homemade "I Spy" quilt that arrived at Christmas, baby blankets that are still used (and treasured), afghans knit by loved ones, favourites old and new. What a great collection we have.

So, let it rain. I am surrounded by memories of loved ones, my children's laughter, and a warm fire. The sun will be out tomorrow ... or maybe the next day ... or the day after that ... or the day after that ...

the boys giving Laurel a tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...