Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Finishing Project -- Day 2

Window Frame Hand Prints



This window frame was one of the main reasons behind My Finishing Project week.  It has been sitting around without a purpose for way too long, and now I can finally say that I have done something with it!  I'm not quite finished -- I still want to add the names somehow -- but I am quite pleased with the results so far.  So, a fairly successful day 2!

25 years ago when my Mom and Dad replaced the windows, in what was then our new house, they saved all the old windows -- I come from a family of savers, what can I say?  It has been over a year since this project-to-be has enter our house, but I was never quite sure what I wanted to do with it.  I love the weathered look and was struck by the parallelism (I got this word from the thesaurus -- isn't it great?) of four openings & four children.

I got to work this morning taking out the three remaining panes of glass -- there is a  reason that this is called my finishing project!  Laurel's nap was just about long enough for this messy and potentially dangerous job -- fixing the ugly kitchen floor is a project for another week.


The next step was to cut the black form board (which I already had) to fit in the openings -- all a slightly different size, of course!  I also decided to add a strip of paper (which I had in my stash) to each section as a background for the kid's names.


Now the fun part ... the paint!  Well ... Laurel didn't think that this part was very fun.  In fact, by the way she was screaming, you would have thought that it was some kind of torture!  I had done a couple of practice prints for each of the boys, but knowing that we only had one shot with Laurel, we (it took 3 of us!) had to be fast.  I turned out pretty good all things considered.



Yeah, almost done!  Just working out the best way to add their names.  I'll have it worked out by the end of the week, so that I can claim this as a totally finished project!

Hope your projects are going well!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...