Monday, May 16, 2011

Strawberries


Okay, I'll admit that it doesn't look like much right now, but fast forward a few months and these little guys will be lovely and green and bursting with strawberries -- at least that what it looks like in my dreams.

Strawberries are our big experiment this year and everybody in the house is super excited.  Aside from berry picking, I have never before spent much time with a strawberry plant, so I'm hoping they're friendly!  We chose everbearing strawberries -- how can you argue with 3 harvests a year? -- and the little roots arrived in the box last week (anyone with strawberry experience who would like to share some of your wisdom, please feel free to comment below -- all advice is welcome).  After reading the growing instructions very carefully, I learned that the little roots needed to be planted pronto.  So I got ready to plant on the weekend during the break in the weather that was promised.  Well, it did stop raining for a while, but the promised sun never showed up, so I was forced to do my planting in a light rain -- I skipped the final step that said to water the plants thoroughly, think that I'm safe?


This is what my pants looked like by the time that I finished.  It was kinda fun getting dirty and definitely a lot of work (well, the getting dirty part was actually pretty easy), but it will be so worth it ...

  
This is what this end of the garden looks like now!  Strawberry jam, strawberry pie, strawberry shortcake, strawberries on ice cream, just plain strawberries ... can't you just taste them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...