Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gentlemen

We have a new book at our house.  It's called "50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know" and I'm excited to read it with the boys.


Maybe it's my old fashioned-ness that makes this book appeal to me, but I like the idea of teaching my boys to be gentlemen.  Published in 2006 -- despite the Emily Post feel of the name -- "50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know" contains short chapters on basic subjects like: saying please and thank you and making an apology, along with more challenging issues like: dealing with foods you don't like, meeting people with physical challenges and, my personal favourite, putting down the toilet seat.  It easily and clearly explains what you should do, what you should NOT do, and why.  It seems like a good beginning.

Well, this is what the boys looked like today -- maybe we'll start tomorrow.


They don't look much like gentlemen -- gentlemen of the sea, maybe.  I'm sure that they remembered to say thank you when they stole the treasure, asked politely before comandeering another ship and didn't rudely stare at other pirates' wooden legs so that their mother would be proud.  Pirates can be polite, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...