Monday, February 7, 2011

Picture Books

After talking about the library the other day, I thought that it might be interesting to ask the boys what their favourite picture books were.  They went upstairs and, after dismissing a few choices and then defining "picture book", they came back with these choices.


Isaac chose "Arthur Flips" by Marc Brown.  We have a few from this series and, although I know that he likes them, his choice surprised me.  When I asked him what he like best about the book, he looked at me like I had two heads and said:  "It's about pancakes!"  I guess that there is nothing else that needs to be said.
(Yes, the gap in Isaac's mouth is bigger.  He was back to the dentist last week to have another tooth pulled -- ouch!, but did great.  He now calls himself Bugs Bunny and keeps asking me "What's up doc?")

Aidan's choice, which also surprised me, was "Is Your Mama A Llama?" by Deborah Guarino.  All he wanted to talk about was the ending, (attention -- spoiler alert!) where the baby llama finds his mother and snuggles.  He summed it up by saying:  "It's a happy book."

Owen's choice was "Donald Duck's Toy Sailboat" -- again, not what I expected (you would think that I would learn to expect the unexpected, but I guess that I am a slow learner!).  His plot summery goes something like this:  "It's a funny book.  The guys (chipmunks) go to the tree in a boat.  I am the black nose guy."  Which was followed by great debate over which chipmunk has the black nose.

After all these unexpected choices, I decided to search for some of the books that I thought that they were going to choose.


"Two by Two", by Barbara Reid, I had pretty much memorized at one point because I had read it so often when Isaac was little.  We love the illustrations too.


Okay, "The Squeaky Door" by Margaret Read MacDonald is one that I really thought that someone would pick.  I really like it, so I guess it can be my pick.  The boys love the part where Grandma kisses the pig (yuck!) and I love the part when Grandma (not Grandpa) gets out her tool box to fix ... I don't want to give away the ending, you'll just have to read the book to find out what needs fixing (besides the door, you bunch of smarty pants!).


When Dada was asked about a favourite, he suggested "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel" by Virginia Lee Burton.  He remembered enjoying this book as a child and once the book came out, we had a couple more votes for this book too.  It's about construction, so of course it's going to be popular!

Here are a couple more older books in our collection that have been popular over the years with more than one generation.



The last book that I will share with you is "Pajama Time" by Sandra Boyton.  Actually, anything by Sandra Boyton is popular in our house, but I think that this one is still the favourite.  It makes going to bed look like fun and anything that makes bed time easier gets a thumbs up from me!  

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...